Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Tuesday, July 14, 2009:

Good morning to all! Today is a well needed rest day for our team. We had planned a short warmdown session this morning, but due to the very late return from the Opening Ceremony (1:15 AM) we decided to let our players rest today and spend some time with their parents that are here. Tonight the team is having a team dinner with their parents at a restaurant nearby. Sean and I will not be attending, as we are going to watch Aly start her competition with the open 400 meter race! Shachar, Sean and I will go to dinner and then to the meet in Tel Aviv at Hadar Joseph Stadium.

Last night...oh what a night it was indeed. Just like we imagined, after watching all these years the Opening Ceremonies to the Olympics! Nothing could have been more exhilerating or special than what we participated in. It was just like being in the Olympics. The lighting of the Torch by our own Jason Lezak (Gold Medalist from the Bejing Olympics) topped it off. The program was so very special and unique, that it made standing on your feet for over 6 hours, well worth the pain and fatigue. We heard Prime Minister Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres address the athletes. That in itself, made it more meaningful to me and showed how truly inportant this Maccabiah is to the Jewish people and State of Israel. There were over 50,000 people in the stands when we marched in as the Delegation from the United States of America! Both Sean and I along with Aly, were in total awe of this magnificent ceremony and achievement. But to truly feel a part of all this, was something in our wildest imagination that we never dreamed of doing, let alone participating.

As we marched into the Ramat Gan Stadium, the applause was so loud we could hardly hear each other speak. This was something that Dreams are made of and something that will live inside all of us for the rest of our lives! Sharing this incredible moment with my son and daughter made everything more special. While Sean and I did not walk in beside Aly ( she was a little in front of us), being side by side with Sean, walking ito the stadium in front of such a large crowd, is not worthy of words, as it would do so little to capture the feeling we all shared last evening.

It was an incredible experience, to be in a ceremony, surrounded by all this history that Israel affords us all and to be with fellow Jews from all over the world, including the tiny island of Palau! I shall remember this tfor the rest of my life. The image in my head, being with my son and daughter, will be forever in my memory. As we marched in, my thought immediately went to my wonderful wife and just how much I miss her and love her. I wish she could have been here with us to witness this. I also wish my brother could have been here as well to be a part of this incredible moment in time. As I my thoughts began to wander, I was led back to my parents and just how proud they would have been of us. I know they are watching us all from above, with a great big proud smile. I miss them more and more, as I experience these life altering events.

The most amazing thing would unfold as the evening progressed. I have never seen people actually taking shirts off and swapping with people form other countries. It was a sight to behold!
Sean changed his shirt with a guy from Great Britain, along with his hat being swapped as well, The only thing I swapped , was hat for hat exchange with a Canadian. They had the coolest "bush" type hat. But, Sean really wanted it, so I gave it to him!

With the evening over, we returned to our hotels and went immediately to bed!

Tomorrow, we play Mexico, which is a critical game for us. We need atleat a tie at the worst, but a win would almost assure us of a place in the medal round. So, please keep your fingers crossed for us.

Hopefully, Sean will upload some photos in a little while. I know you will enjoy them.

Take care and stay well. We miss everyone very much.

Best regards from Israel,
Preston and Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment